Susan joined the Clinic for Special Children in 2022 as a Genetic Counselor. In this role, she will assist in new patient triage and intake, provide genetic counseling services, and manage logistics of the molecular diagnostics service. As a member of the clinical team, Susan will also assist physicians with genetic testing decisions and the evaluation of patients.
She brings a wealth of experience in genetic counseling, research, patient advocacy, and sales, and has collaborated on a number of peer-reviewed publications. In her free time, Susan enjoys traveling and trying out new recipes.
Why are you passionate about the Clinic?
I have been interested in both the clinical and laboratory work offered at the clinic since I was a genetic counseling graduate student. It is a rare opportunity to be able to serve the Plain communities as a healthcare provider and to collaborate on cutting-edge research that not only benefits the patients seen at the clinic but also provides knowledge and insight to other medical specialities.
Education and Certifications
- Arcadia University, Master’s of Science in Genetic Counseling
- Pennsylvania State University, Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School, Marketing Certificate
- Board Certified Genetic Counselor by the American Board of Genetic Counseling
- National Society of Genetic Counselors
- Pennsylvania Association of Genetic Counselors
- Director of Patient Engagement, Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA)
- National Sales Trainer and Genetic Testing Sales, GeneDx/Bio-Reference Laboratories/Opko Health
- Clinical Genetic Counselor, University of Pennsylvania Genetic Diagnostic Laboratory
- Clinical Genetic Counselor, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Division of Medical Genetics
- Clinical Genetic Counselor, Columbia University Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Clinical Genetic Counselor, Drexel Center for Genetics, Fetal and Maternal Medicine
- Scientific Technician, Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Research Associate, Bristol-Myers Squibb Pharmaceutical Research Institute
- Research Technician, Rutgers University, Dept. of Biological Sciences